News
Everything Val Kilmer Said About His Throat Cancer Battle Before His Death at 65

Val Kilmer battled throat cancer just years before his tragic death at the age of 65.
The Top Gun and Batman Forever actor, who died of pneumonia on Tuesday, April 1, confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter in December 2017 that he had been battling cancer for the past two years, after initially denying reports about his illness.
Over the years, Kilmer was candid about how his cancer affected his life. The Hollywood Reporter piece noted that “a procedure on [Kilmer’s] trachea has reduced his voice to a rasp and rendered him short of breath.”
Kilmer opened up about his quality of life in his 2021 documentary, Val, in which he detailed having to use a feeding tube. “I can’t speak without plugging this hole [in my throat],” he said, explaining, “You have to make the choice to breathe or to eat.”
Scroll down to see what Kilmer said about his throat cancer battle over the years:
Initial Denial
Reports emerged in January 2015 that Kilmer was taken to the hospital for a suspected throat tumor. The actor’s rep told TMZ at the time he was undergoing tests.
Kilmer later denied that he had a throat tumor in a statement posted via his Facebook page.
“Thank you for all your sweet support. But I have not had a tumor, or a tumor operations, or any operation. I had a complication where the best way to receive care was to stay under the watchful eye of the ucla ICU,” he wrote in the January 2015 post. “Friends have assisted who know my spiritual convictions and have been most sensitive and kind for the extra effort in making sure there’s minimum gossip and silly talk. I am praying for a speedy return to the boards as they say. God bless you all and please don’t worry. Love and deep affection , Val.”
‘Healing of Cancer’
In October 2016, Kilmer’s The Ghost and the Darkness costar Michael Douglas appeared to confirm his cancer diagnosis.
“Val was a wonderful guy who is dealing with exactly what I had, and things don’t look too good for him,” Douglas said onstage during a Q&A event in London, referring to his own cancer treatment. (Douglas was diagnosed with stage 4 oral cancer in 2010, but said he was cancer-free in 2011.)
Douglas added, “My prayers are with him. That’s why you haven’t heard too much from Val lately.”
Kilmer initially denied having cancer in a statement via Facebook. “I love Michael Douglas but he is misinformed,” the actor wrote, adding that he had “no cancer whatsoever.”
“He’s a loving and devoted friend to a privileged group of talent people around the world, and I’m sure he meant no harm,” he added of Douglas, 80.
However, in April 2017, Kilmer came clean about his cancer battle in a Reddit AMA in which he was asked about Douglas’ comments.
“He was probably trying to help me cause press probably asked where I was these days, and I did have a healing of cancer, but my tongue is still swollen altho healing all the time,” Kilmer wrote. “Because I don’t sound my normal self yet people think I may still be under the weather.”
Cancer Treatment
In a December 2017 interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Kilmer shared more details about his cancer diagnosis.
Kilmer credited his faith as a Christian Scientist with helping him get through his chemotherapy. After the treatment, Kilmer said he was no longer concerned about Hollywood acclaim.
“I was too serious. I’d get upset when things like Oscars and recognition failed to come my way,” he said.
How Cher Helped Him
In his 2020 memoir, I’m Your Huckleberry, Kilmer revealed how he turned to ex-girlfriend Cher for support amid his 2015 cancer diagnosis.
“One night, I suddenly awoke vomiting blood that covered the bed like a scene out of The Godfather. I prayed immediately, then called 911. Then alerted my hostess. Cher stepped in and stepped up,” he wrote, per People.
“And yet even in my grave condition, I saw her scanning the paramedic, who was Gregory Peck drop-dead handsome. Only in Hollywood, right? Despite the fact that I was covered in blood, I caught her eye and bounced my brows like Groucho Marx. Hubba hubba. Cher was bashful to be busted, but then couldn’t help laughing out loud at the audacity,” he continued.
“Here we were, joking about beauty and desire, while I looked like a stunt man from Tarantino’s Reservoir Dogs and, yes, while my life seemed to be in mortal danger. We laughed out loud before they finished with my vitals and shut me up with an oxygen mask,” he added.
Life After Cancer
In his 2021 documentary Val, which was released via Amazon Prime Video, Kilmer addressed his quality of life after his cancer battle.
“I was recently diagnosed with throat cancer. I’m still recovering, and it is difficult to talk and to be understood. But I want to tell my story more than ever,” he said in the doc.
In the film, narrated mostly by his son Jack, Kilmer discussed his use of a feeding tube in detail. “I can’t speak without plugging this hole [in my throat],” he said, explaining, “You have to make the choice to breathe or to eat.”
Kilmer added, “It’s an obstacle that is very present with whoever sees me,” before noting that he sounded “much worse” than he felt. “I have behaved bizarrely to some. I deny none of this and have no regrets because I have lost and found parts of myself that I never knew existed. I am blessed.”
Read the full article here

-
Movies6 days ago
Telling details about Sydney Sweeney’s relationship with Jonathan Davino come to light after wedding called off
-
Celebrity7 days ago
Jacob Elordi details dramatic weight loss to play ‘wasted-away’ prisoner of war
-
TV6 days ago
Hulk Hogan’s daughter, Brooke, hits back at mom Linda’s emotional video with shocking abuse claims
-
Music6 days ago
See Ariana Grande’s transformation into a grandmother for new short film
-
Kardashian7 days ago
Kourtney Kardashian’s son Rocky displays jet-black hair in rare TV appearance
-
Entertainment5 days ago
Sandra Oh Is Changing Her Tune on a Potential Return to Grey’s Anatomy After It Being a ‘Hard No’ for ‘the Longest Time’
-
Entertainment4 days ago
Jonathan Roumie Says Labeling The Chosen as ‘Religious’ Is a ‘Disservice’: ‘A Gate Goes Down in People’s Minds’ (Exclusive)
-
Gossip6 days ago
Famed NYC socialite spot Swifty’s will open in Hamptons after popping up as Palm Beach hit